Find a Reserved Item
|Length of Loan||Time Due|
|2 hours||Due back 2 hours from time of check-out|
|4 hours||Due back 4 hours from time of check-out|
|1 day||Due back 24 hours from time of check-out|
|3 days||Due back 3 days from time of check-out|
|1 week||Due back 7 days from time of check-out|
The usual limit on the number of Reserves is one per patron. However, a second and third can be borrowed as long as only one Reserve has a longer loan period (i.e. 4-hour or longer).
Fines on overdue Reserve material are charged at the following rates:
- Items with 2-hour or 4-hour loan period: $5.00 + $5.00/each additional hour
- Items with 1-day, 3-day or 1-week loan period: $5.00 + $5.00/each additional day
Upon request, staff at the Access Desk may place holds for students on high-demand Reserve items.
To renew a Reserve item call (902) 585-1249 or visit the Access Desk. You may also log into Novanet and renew online. Reserve items can be renewed as long as no one else has requested the item.
The Reserve Collection is a collection of required and supplementary readings and other material that professors have selected for specific courses. The purpose of the Reserve service is to make limited resources available to as many students as possible.
The Library will accept for the Reserve collection any item that meets our mandate to support study, research, intellectual growth, and scholarly communication providing that it conforms to the criteria listed below.
The following types of material can be accepted for Reserves:
- Vaughan Library items - Items that are currently in circulation will be recalled and placed on Reserve as soon as they are returned to the library.
- Personal copies - If the library does not own a particular item, a personal copy may be put on Reserve. Personal copies of material should contain owner identification. The Library makes every effort to safeguard Reserve material. However, we cannot accept responsibility for lost and/or damaged personal material.
- Old Exams, Assignment Answers, etc...
- Photocopies that comply with the Copyright Act, existing licences with journal publishers, or a Creative Commons or other licence.
- Items from other Novanet libraries can be placed on Reserve once we obtain that library’s permission. However, that library can ask that their material be removed from Reserves and returned to them at any time.
- Multiple copies of an item may be placed on Reserve, when necessary. When a request is received to place a portion of a book on Reserve, and where the Library owns a copy of the book, the Library copy of the book will be placed on Reserve. When a request is received to place a journal article on Reserve, and where the Library owns the journal in print, the Library copy of the journal will be placed on Reserve.
The following types of material cannot be accepted for Reserves:
- Items that contravene copyright legislation.
- Materials received through Interlibrary Loan.
- Copies that do not comply with the Copyright Act or with the appropriate rightsholder licence.
Faculty and staff may request that an item be placed on Reserve. A Reserve form must accompany all items placed on Reserve. Forms are available online or from the Access Services Desk.
Items on Reserve are subject to Canadian copyright legislation. Copies that are not substantial portions of the original document do not require any copyright clearance. More substantial copying may be allowed under the fair dealing provisions of the Copyright Act, under an existing licence with journal publishers or under a Creative Commons or other licence.
Written permission from the copyright owner must be obtained by the faculty member for any copyright-protected items not covered by legislation, existing licences with journal publishers or a Creative Commons or other licence.
For further information, please see the library's copyright guide at http://libguides.acadiau.ca/copyright.
Please contact Access Services Staff by phone at (902) 585-1249 or by e-mail at email@example.com for information or assistance with Reserves.